Executive Director, Global Development and Operations (GD&O)
Zoetis is a global animal health company dedicated to supporting customers and their businesses in ever better ways. Building on 60 years of experience, we deliver quality medicines and vaccines, complemented by diagnostic products and genetic tests and supported by a range of services. We are working every day to better understand and address the real-world challenges faced by those who raise and care for animals in ways they find truly relevant.Our name, Zoetis (z-EH-tis), has its root in zo, familiar in words such as zoo and zoology and derived from zoetic, meaning “pertaining to life.” It signals our company”s dedication to supporting the veterinarians and livestock producers everywhere who raise and care for the farm and companion animals on which we all depend.Zoetis is committed to equal opportunity in the terms and conditions of employment for all employees and job applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, age, gender identity or gender expression, national origin, disability or veteran status.EXECUTIVE DIRECTOR, GLOBAL DEVELOPMENT AND OPERATIONS (GD&O) POSITION SUMMARYProvide leadership and manage budgets for a function totaling approximately 100 staff located in Kalamazoo and Richland, Michigan. The position has leadership responsibility for an organization that supports the execution of clinical studies, including study site selection, initiation and monitoring; data capture, management, and archival; report preparation; document systems design and maintenance; and regulatory dossier production. The position also supervises a team that establishes the statistical parameters of in vivo and in vitro study design across the portfolio, analyzes and reports outcomes, and ensures practices are aligned with global regulatory requirements. Finally, the role oversees the Facilities, Maintenance, and Engineering function for the R&D operations. This position will be a member of the Veterinary Medicine Leadership Team, helping to create strategic plans for the Zoetis Veterinary Medicine Research and Development (VMRD) organization, preparing annual operating plan goals, and ensuring that the allocation of budget and resources is consistent with portfolio progression objectives.
* Provide high level direction to Global Development and Operations (GD&O), including establishing key goals for operational efficiency and excellence, and continuous improvement targets. Work with peers to ensure that common practices and processes are used to support efficient portfolio progression. * Coach and mentor direct reports and other VMRD staff as appropriate to facilitate colleague development and succession planning. * Lead GD&O efforts to practice objective colleague performance assessment and effective performance management. * As a member of the Portfolio Governance Team, ensure that resource allocation is consistent with VMRD portfolio priorities.
* Participate on the Veterinary Medicine Leadership Team and contribute to creating the strategic direction of VMRD. * Ensure robust planning, execution, analysis, and reporting of clinical studies for Biologicals, Pharmaceuticals, and Biopharmaceuticals to support the timely progression of global registration plans and achievement of budget targets. * Seek opportunities to collaborate with Zoetis commercial partners to provide insights into VMRD”s facilities, systems and processes. Also, support Zoetis commercial with technical consultation and, if requested, operational execution of Zoetis Commercial Post-Approval (“Phase IV”) studies. * Remain current with evolving regulatory requirements that impact study design, execution, analysis and reporting. Ensure that there are opportunities for function experts to influence the evolution of regulatory guidelines. QUALIFICATIONS: * Advanced degree (DVM/VMD or PhD) with at least 10 years” experience in veterinary drug and biologicals development. Candidates without advanced degrees, but a minimum of 15 years of relevant experience, may also be considered.
* Requires a documented track record of success in leading a team with diverse responsibilities, including functions such as Clinical Study Design and Execution, Biometrics, Data Management, Document Systems, and Regulatory Submission Publishing.
* Familiarity with leading a Facilities, Maintenance, and Engineering function is desirable.
* Must also have experience working in a matrix environment, where alignment of goals and flexibility in allocating resources across functions is essential to organizational success. * General veterinary knowledge across livestock and companion animals. * A good understanding of the U.S. commercial veterinary market and familiarity with major global veterinary markets. * Excellent oral and written communications skills. * Strong interpersonal skills, including negotiating and problem solving. * Skilled at situational leadership. * Experienced in registering veterinary products, including biologicals and pharmaceuticals. * Experienced in veterinary clinical development, with familiarity with global regulatory processes.